What are the Downsides of Antibiotics for Pets?
Are you worried about giving your pet too many antibiotics? To avoid resistance, there are alternative products to help treat common health issues.
Antibiotics are commonly prescribed to treat a variety of ailments in dogs, but pet owners should be aware that there are some downsides associated with the use of antibiotics. Thankfully, there are alternatives to antibiotics as well, so it’s definitely worth taking an integrative approach when it comes to your furry friend’s health.
Your Dog’s Body Could Develop a Resistance to Antibiotics
Antibiotic resistance occurs in humans, but it can also occur in pets. Basically, bacteria that cause disease are able to find ways to resist the medications that are prescribed by vets.
Resistance can develop as a result of antibiotics being over-prescribed and used in instances when they aren’t actually appropriate. Improper duration and dosage could also lead to antibiotic resistance, and low, frequent doses that aren’t strong enough to eliminate all bacteria could result in some of the surviving bacteria developing a resistance. The bacteria can then pass that resistance on to other bacteria, rendering the medication ineffective.
Other Drawbacks of Antibiotic Use
Common side effects include allergic reactions, including skin irritations like hives and rashes, as well as digestive problems like stomach irritation, vomiting, and diarrhea. Your pet might even develop secondary infections, such as yeast infections, and might become lethargic or lose their appetite.
Alternatives to Antibiotics
Vetericyn Plus® products, which are recommended by top veterinarians’ don’t contain any antibiotics, steroids, or tea tree oil, and are safe to use for all animals. They are non-toxic, as well as easy to administer, and they can serve as a treatment option when antibiotics are not appropriate. Plus, unlike antibiotics, your pet will not develop a resistance to these products and they can’t be overused.
Here are a few of the many Vetericyn Plus products that can tackle a variety of ailments without the fear of antibiotic side effects:
- Vetericyn Plus All Animal Wound and Skin Care can be used to thoroughly cleanse wounds, such as scratches, cuts, and abrasions on your dog’s skin.
- Vetericyn Plus All Animal Antimicrobial Hydrogel is a gel that can provide a protective barrier to treat wounds, and it is useful for post-surgical sites, wound beds, hard-to-reach locations, and wound dressings.
- Vetericyn Plus All Animal Eye Wash is specially formulated for use in and around your dog’s eyes. It can help clean the eyes to alleviate irritation caused by foreign debris and dirt.
- Vetericyn Plus Hot Spot Antimicrobial Gel utilizes advanced hypochlorous technology to alleviate symptoms that are associated with sores, abrasions, and scratches. It can also be used to help prevent recurring skin irritations and itchy skin.
- Vetericyn Plus All Animal Ear Rinse can be used daily in order to maintain clean ears and reduce the risk of irritation. It can also be used to flush, clean, and care for wounds and irritations of the ear canal and outer ear, and to cleanse the ears when they’ve been affected by irritants like pollutants or contaminants.
Rather than relying solely upon prescriptions, try Vetericyn Plus products to give your dog’s body additional support when she/he needs it, without having to worry about antibiotic resistance or harsh side effects.