Blueberry Bacon Dog Treat Recipe
When I told a few people that I was making a Blueberry Bacon Dog Treat Recipe, they all asked the same thing – would I mind baking a few for them to try? Nope – this tasty treat is part of a well-balanced breakfast for pooches (or at least as all of the ingredients of one)! I don’t know about your dog, but Oscar comes a-running when he hears and smells bacon frying up. But to be fair, so do I! And if you don’t have fresh blueberries, feel free to use the frozen kind, as they work just as well in this recipe.
Blueberry and Bacon Combined?
Despite the obv fact that bacon is pretty much the most delish food for humans and dogs, bacon is also a pretty swell enticement for those dogs who may be picky eaters (or treaters). Believe it or not, there are some dogs who are not food-motivated, and if they live in a household with another dog who is, they may need enticement to eat and fuel their body. Bacon to the rescue (works every time)!
But blueberries…why are so many people gaga over blueberries for dogs?
Well, most importantly because they’re a superfood. For dogs and their hoomans, of course.
And did you know that dogs are NOT carnivores? They are actually omnivores, and just because they LOVE meats, that doesn’t mean that they don’t love and even crave fruits and veggies.
And did you ALSO know that adult wolves love to snack on blueberries (or make meals out of them even) and mama wolves will literally chew blueberries and regurgitate back for their pups. Eww, maybe but there’s purpose in that thar’ chew and pass-back!
Yes, the ancestors of our best friends knew then and to this day about the superfood quality that is our common-day blueberry. What makes it so spectacular, you ask?
Well, for starters, there is no other fruit that has higher antioxidant properties than the blueberry. Nope, not even that uber-trendy açai. And blueberries are often the topic of study when it comes to looking at its anti-inflammatory properties and the benefits it has on the brain and nervous system.
Seems like those doggo ancestors instinctively knew that blueberries were good for the brain development and nervous system health of their pups, and so we carry on their knowledge in these amazing and easy-to-make treats.
Blueberry Bacon Dog Treat Recipe
2 cups whole wheat flour
¼ cup flaxseed meal
½ cup oatmeal
1 cup blueberries
2-3 strips bacon, crumbled
½ water or milk (regular or almond)
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line cookie sheets with parchment paper.
- Fry bacon until desired crispness. Drain and let cool on paper towel before crumbling the strips.
- Mash blueberries in a small bowl with fork. Set aside.
- In a large bowl mix together flour, flaxseed, oatmeal, and bacon. Mix well. Add in mashed blueberries.
- Add milk or water slowly in the mixture, stirring until the dough holds together and is stiff.
- On a floured or parchment-paper lined surface, roll out the dough to ¼ to ½ thickness. Using cookie cutters, press out shapes and place on cookie sheet.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or lightly golden. Allow treats to cool completely, and store in air tight bags or containers in refrigerator or in freezer.
If you want, you can poke the treats with a fork before they go into the oven. This helps to eliminate air bubbles in the cookies and keeps them completely flat and hard.