Product Review: EQyss Premier Shampoo And Conditioner
Desperate times call for desperate measures. Here’s how a chance encounter and poor planning got me to switch from human to canine grooming products.
I used dog shampoo… and I liked it! I get it. It sounds like something a crazy dog lady would say, but hear me out. Everything happens for a reason, and I believe that fate put me in the path of guaranteed good hair days by way of EQyss Premier Dog grooming shampoo and conditioner.
Let’s start at the beginning:
Global Pet Expo. Orlando, Florida. March 4, 2015. I’m staying at your standard last-minute-reservation hotel. These joints seem to litter the strip to the conference center. It’s the one where the pool is closed and you don’t want to touch the free Continental Breakfast. You’re lucky if there’s a fresh bar of soap in the shower. And I’m guessing this was behind the marketing genus of EQyss, which is why they were handing out free samples of their doggy-grooming shampoo and conditioner at the show, along with a little note telling visitors to clean off with their product. Sure, you feel kinda weird for using a dog shampoo on yourself, but for people who were lodging at Motel Zero, it was better than a chocolate on the pillow for turn-down service (the only chocolate-sized treat on your pillows at one of these places often had legs. And eyes. And a family of 54 children waiting at home for him in the wall).
Related: How Often Should You Groom Your Dog?
I’m picky about my hair products, so I was prepared. This meant that the EQyss samples got packed up and came home with me, where I forgot about them until the fall. But they made a surprising come back, when I was in a bind at the gym.
I ran out of my usual shampoo and conditioner, and was in dire need of a solution… when I remembered the samples from EqQyss I had brought home from the show. In the gym bag they went, and I wasn’t expecting much from them. A joke or two when I told friends about it the next day (“Amy, you’re looking flea-free today!”), but other than that, my expectations were low.
Perhaps that’s why I was so flabbergasted to discover that after using the EQqyss shampoo and conditioner, my hair felt salon-soft. And this was when it was still wet! After drying and straightening, it blinded me with its shininess. I couldn’t stop running my hands through my smooth tresses. As I walked down the street, I envisioned myself in a shampoo commercial – don’t hate me because I’m beautiful (Thanks, Pantene).
I was so amazed at the result, I went around the office, demanding that co-workers touch and smell my hair. Even the new guy. The one who had never met me before. And to his credit, he not only did what I told him to, he kept coming into the office!
Even better news: this isn’t a one-off hair day. I went back to my old products, and my hair fell flat. Or frizzy. It was just ugly. But back on the Eqyss dog shampoo… BAM! Perfect ‘do every time.
Let’s take a look what’s in these products – perhaps the label and ingredient list hold the secret to a perfect coif:
EQyss Premier Shampoo
- Other than Deionized Water, the first few ingredients are unpronounceable and humorously Mary Poppin-esqe long. I’m going to assume that these ingredients are the magic fairy dust that take away the frizzies.
- It lists essences of lavender, thyme and clove. Yay nature!
- I’m not exactly sure where the fruity smell comes from. In fact, I’m not even sure what fruit it smells like. But there’s some kind of nectar-looking piece of produce printed on the bottle, so I’m going to go with that.
- There’s no chemical residue, it doesn’t contain any soap or harsh detergents, and promises to volumizes coats. Well, my coat (of hair) is volumized. Even better, I won’t have to use any bluing agents or whiteners to bring out the natural sheen of my hair. Thank goodness, because I was spending thousands in bluing and whiteners a year!
EQyss Premier Conditioner:
- There’s no oil, wax or silicone, which is probably why my straightening iron glides through my hair… no extra styling product needed.
- Added bonus: the product says it’s going to reduce my shedding, dander and flyaways. This is good news for all the people who have said that they were allergic to me!
- It says it controls pet odor, although I’m not sure how. The conditioner smells like… nothing! It has no scent. Oh well, I don’t care. It softens and conditions my coat, and I guess the no-scent works, because I don’t smell like a dog. Taking it as a win and moving on…
I don’t know what magic (or science) EQyss uses in their shampoo and conditioner, but lucky for me they bottled and sold it. Instead of heading to a salon or drug store for my grooming needs, I order my shampoo from my local pet store. And I’m not ashamed to let everyone know the secret to my hair success – EQyss has earned a permanent spot in my shower.
Related: Soggy Doggy Super Shammy Review
And the best part? Other than the consistently good hair days, that is. It’s that Oscar and I both have flowing locks. It works the same wonders on dogs as it does on humans… which is not surprising, considering it’s made for pooches. But as we strut down the street on our walk, hair bouncing as the wind gently flows through it, we both look like a million bucks, and not even our groomer could get us looking this good!
To Buy or Not to Buy: Um, in case you missed the entire review up until this point, yes. Yes you should.
Even if you don’t have a dog. You need this for your hair. Throw out the wall of product bottles that line your bathtub or shower, and replace them with the EQyss line. Sure, people may laugh at you when you first tell them the secret for perfect hair. But you know that once you’re out of earshot, they’ll be scrambling over themselves to pick up this wonder duo for themselves. If you want to pick them up, stop by the EQyss website.
Now, if you don’t mind, I’m going to go back to caressing my luxurious locks…
Note: PetGuide.com was NOT compensated for this review. Our reviewer received EQyss Premier Shampoo and Conditioner (1 bottle of each) to review. The opinions expressed in this post are the author’s. We provide unbiased feedback of the products and share products we think our readers would enjoy using and learning more about.