Christmas Banana and Bacon Dog Treat Recipe
It’s beginning to smell a lot like Christmas! I love to bake, especially during the holiday season. But man, do I hate the extra weight that comes along with eating all those goodies. That’s why homemade dog treats are the answer – I can indulge my baking crave without having to taste test… I leave that to Oscar and Zed. And they were more than happy to oblige and gobbled down these Christmas Banana and Bacon dog treats. Whip up a batch for your pooch’s stocking!
4 cups whole wheat flour
¼ cup of oats
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 banana, mashed
½ cup peanut butter
2 tablespoons honey
1 cup milk or almond milk
1 tablespoon olive oil
½ cup bacon, cooked and crumbled
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line cookie sheets with parchment paper.
- In a large mixing bowl, mix together wet ingredients – milk, peanut butter, egg, olive oil, and banana – until smooth
- Add in flour, oats, bacon bites (you can save ¼ cup to sprinkle on top of cookies), and baking powder and mix until a dough forms. If it’s too sticky, add more flour.
- Flour your countertop and roll the dough out to ¼ inch thickness. Cut into shapes using a cookie cutter. Place on cookie sheets.
- Brush treats with an egg wash and sprinkle them with bacon bits, lightly pressing them into the treats.
- Place cookie sheets in oven and bake for 30 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let cool on racks for 2-3 hours. Keep treats stored in fridge or freeze in airtight container.