Peanut Butter & Jam Frozen Mini Cups
With summer racing towards and temperatures rising exponentially, the time has come to find ways for you and your dog to cool down. The good news is that beating the summer heat can be both fun and delicious. In fact, I have a little secret that I’ve used for years to keep me and my pooch cool and comfortable until September: my Peanut Butter & Jam Frozen Mini Cups! I miss my school-standard PB&J sandwiches… I’m pretty sure I ate one every day. There are few things in live more delicious than the special level of deliciousness that can only be reached when peanut butter meets jam! It’s not just humans that go ga-ga for that flavour combination either. Dogs love it too. My fur baby Oscar loves his frozen treats, and these ones are no different. He lights up and cools down every time I put one of these in front of his face. Plus, they look super cute and already come portion perfect. There’s really no downside to these frozen treats, which is why I can’t keep this recipe to myself any longer. It’s time for every dog to enjoy them!
The Peanut Butter & Jam Frozen Mini Cups Recipe
Note: This recipe makes a total of 15 mini cups.
1/4 cup of peanut butter
1/4 of strawberries (they can be frozen or fresh)
1 cup of plain yogurt, divided
For The Bottom Layer:
1/4 cup of peanut butter
3/4 cup of plain yogurt
- Add the peanut butter and yogurt to a blender or food processor and blend until the mixture is completely smooth.
- Spoon the mixture into small cupcake pans, filling each cup to the halfway mark.
- Put the cupcake pan into the freezer for 30 minutes to set bottom layer.
¼ cup of strawberries
1/4 cup of plain yogurt
- Add the strawberries and yogurt to a blender or food processor and blend until the mixture is smooth.
- After the bottom layer has set, remove the cupcake tray from the freezer. Pour the strawberry mixture on the top of the peanut butter layer until the cup is full.
- Place the trays back into the freezer and let it freeze overnight (this should take roughly 8 hours).
- To serve, remove the tray from the freezer and let it stand for 1-2 minutes. Pop out the cups with a butter knife or a dull knife or a spoon handle.
And that’s it! Pretty simple, right? The tastiest treats you’re dog will scarf down all summer can be prepared with a few minutes work, a freeer, and a little patience. The joy your dog experiences every time that he cools down with these tasty treats will last a whole lot longer than that. Please let us know what your pooch thinks of these treats in the comments below. Also, please let us know if you have any suggestions on how to improve this recipe and ensure that dogs everywhere have and tasty and cool summer this year.
Amy Tokic, Editor of PetGuide.com, is a passionate animal lover and proud pet parent of Oscar, a Shih Tzu/Chihuahua cross, and Zed, a Japanese Chin. Her love of animals began in kindergarten, when she brought her stuffed dog Snoopy into class with her every day. Now, she writes about her adventures in pet ownership and tirelessly researches products, news and health related issues she can share with other animal enthusiasts. In her free time, Amy loves perusing used book and record stores, obsessing over the latest pet products available and chasing squirrels with wild abandon (a habit attributed to spending too much time with her pooches).
More by Amy Tokic