DIY All-Natural Dry Dog Shampoo
Some dogs hate water… especially if it’s partnered with a bath. If you’re stinky dog fights getting into the tub, an all-natural DIY dry dog shampoo might be the answer.
Between walks, sleeping on the couch, and chasing the cat, dirt and pollutants accumulate on your dog’s coat. Sebaceous glands are attached to your dog’s hair follicles, and produce a light, oily substance called sebum. This helps keep skin healthy, as it offers natural antibiotic properties. On the down side, the sebum also lets off a distinct scent.
The longer your dog goes between baths, the more the sebum builds up. Not only does this leave your dog’s coat greasy and dull, it also means the smell gets even worse! But you don’t want to over-wash your dog, because that removes the oils that help your dog’s skin keep it at its best. So what do you do to keep your pooch smelling and looking sweet without hosing him down?
An all-natural, do-it-yourself Dry Dog Shampoo will do the trick! And the best part is, you probably have all the ingredients in your kitchen.
6 tablespoons baking soda
6 tablespoons cornstarch
12 drops lavender essential oil
Salt and pepper shakers (I got mine at the dollar store)
- In a mixing bowl, combine baking soda, cornstarch and lavender oil. Mix well until completely combined.
- Spoon mixed powder into salt and pepper shakers.
- Decorate shakers with dog-inspired embellishments. Perfect to give as gifts, or keep for your own smelly pooch!
How to Use:
- It’s best to do this outdoors if possible. If you’re doing this indoors, have your dog sit on a towel to minimize the mess.
- Before you use the powder, give your dog a good brushing from head to tail.
- Sprinkle dry shampoo over your pooch and work the powder through your dog’s coat with your fingers.
- Let it sit for about five minutes to let the baking soda and cornstarch soak up the oils and odors.
- Brush your dog again to remove the bulk of the dry shampoo mixture.
- Use an old towel to rub off the rest of the dry shampoo. Your dog will shake off the rest.