6 Super Serious Reasons Why Black Cats Are Awesome
You’ve heard that silly superstition that a black cat crossing your path produces bad luck. Well, some people actually believe it to be true and it’s one of the factors that leave thousands of black cats homeless in animal shelters each year. In reality, black cats are just as great as any other cat – they may even be better!
Related: Facts And Myths About Black Cats
Why Do Black Cats Have Trouble Getting Adopted?
According to a study of ASPCA records involving more than 300,000 pet adoptions, euthanasia numbers were the highest for black cats and dogs. This study revealed euthanasia rates of 19 percent for black dogs and 30 percent for black cats. This study also revealed high adoption rates for black dogs and cats, but it is important to note that intake numbers for black pets are also among the highest. Using the data from this study, if one black dog and one white dog were surrendered to a shelter on any given day and both were adopted, there would still be two black dogs left behind, waiting for adoption. In regard to the reasons why black cats and dogs are less likely to be adopted it is important to consider the effects of superstition. Even more relevant, however, is the fact that colored cats and kittens tend to stand out more than solid black cats. If a cat doesn’t attract attention at the shelter, its likelihood of being adopted is low.
Six Reasons Why Black Cats are Awesome
Not all black cats are the same – there are 21 different breeds of black cats, each with its own unique set of physical and personality traits. The Bombay is the most popular of the black cat breeds, and these cats are known for being friendly, intelligent, playful, and people-oriented. If you still need some convincing, consider our six super serious reasons why black cats are awesome:
- They make great ninjas. Black cats are already dressed for a life of espionage – they don’t need a special outfit to blend into the shadows!
- Black goes with every outfit. If you own a cat you should get used to having your clothing covered in fur. The benefit of owning a black cat is that black goes well with every outfit!
- Black is a slimming color. Black is a color that looks great on everyone and your black cat will certainly look well on you!
- Black never goes out of style. While color trends come and go, black will never go out of style. Your black cat will become your favorite accessory!
- A black cat will make you mysterious. Owning a black cat automatically gives you a bit of a mysterious side.
- You will be saving a life. You can’t forget that in adopting a black cat you will be saving a life and doing your part to help reduce the unwanted pet population!
If you are thinking about opening up your home to a new feline friend, seriously consider adopting a black cat. While adopting any cat is saving a life, adopting a black cat means saving the life of a cat that may be in dire need of rescuing. Let’s all say it together – “Black cats are beautiful!”
Kate Barrington is the loving owner of two cats (Bagel and Munchkin) and a noisy herd of guinea pigs. Having grown up with golden retrievers, Kate has a great deal of experience with dogs but labels herself a lover of all pets. Having received a Bachelor's degree in English, Kate has combined her love for pets and her passion for writing to create her own freelance writing business, specializing in the pet niche.
More by Kate Barrington