Benefits of Bone Broth for Dogs
Every dog owner wants their dogs to be happy and healthy. You take the time to walk your dog on a daily basis and make sure he has a healthy diet. What you may not realize, however, is that there are some simple things you do to significantly boost your dog’s health and wellness as well as your own!
Bone broth has become extremely popular of late, though people have been making it for hundreds of years. Made from cooking bones at low heat over a long period of time, bone broth is extremely nutrient-rich and provides a great many benefits for joint health, weight loss, and sleep among other things. Keep reading to find out what it can do for your dog!
Related: Can Dogs Eat Coconut?
What Are the Benefits of Bone Broth for Dogs?
Bone broth is made by boiling raw or cooked bones for an extended period of time. The result is a highly nutritious broth loaded with protein, calcium, potassium, and phosphorus as well as gelatin, glucosamine, chondroitin sulfate, and hyaluronic acid. You’re probably familiar with these nutrients in the context of human health and wellness, but the benefits for your dog are very similar.
Here are the top benefits of bone broth for dogs:
- As the bones are boiled, the marrow breaks down into gelatin which contains collagen loaded with amino acids that promote canine joint health.
- Bone broth contains glycine, an amino acid produced in small amounts by the liver, which supports the body’s detoxification process and boosts liver health.
- A natural source of glucosamine and chondroitin, bone broth helps keep cartilage healthy to relieve joint pain and boost joint health.
- Bone broth is easy to consume, especially for dogs that are sick or old, and it is rich in nutrients that support the healing process.
- It is inexpensive and very easy to make at home – you can add it to your dog’s dry food or stir it into his wet food for easy feeding.
- Bone broth provides probiotic benefits to support healthy and regular digestion.
Because bone broth is so nutritious, you should consider whipping up a batch to share with your dog! Keep reading to learn how – you’ll be surprised how easy it is.
Related: Can Dogs Eat Peas?
A Simple Bone Broth Recipe
There is no wrong way to make bone broth. All you really need is raw bones, raw apple cider vinegar, and water as well as a crockpot or a large saucepan. You can also add vegetables, if you like, for a boost of flavor and nutrition.
Here are the steps to make bone broth at home:
- Fill the bottom of your slow cooker with raw bones – things like chicken feet and beef marrow bones.
- Add water until the bones are completely covered then add 3 to 4 tablespoons of raw apple cider vinegar.
- Cover the slow cooker and cook the bones on high heat for an hour.
- Turn the heat down to low and cook the bones for 24 to 36 hours.
- If you’re adding vegetables, add them during the last 30 minutes – add any herbs of supplements you like during the last 10 minutes.
- Turn off the heat and skim any fat from the top then strain the bones, collecting the liquid in a large bowl.
- Cover and chill the bone broth until a hard crust of fat forms on top – break it off and remove it, leaving the thick jelly-like substance.
- Spoon the bone broth into jars for storage and enjoy as desired.
The beauty of bone broth is that it contains a wide variety of benefits all in a single bowl. Whip up a batch today and sip alongside your dog so you can both enjoy the benefits!
Our Top Pick For Bone Broth
Caring and responsible pet owners do everything they can to keep their canine companions strong and healthy. One easy way you can enhance your dog’s diet is to consider the addition of bone broth to your dog’s feeding regimen. Brutus Bone Broth is recommended all-natural bone broth product made especially for dogs. It not only adds flavor to feeding time but also is packed with nutritional benefits. Brutus Bone Broth is fortified with glucosamine and chondroitin, which contribute to bone and hip health.
This bone broth is made from all-natural ingredients and is non-GMO, dairy-free, gluten-free, soy-free, low fat, low sodium, and contains no artificial flavors or preservatives. It is easily digestible and can help naturally detoxify your dog’s system and has been known to help dogs with food sensitivities and allergies. Add the benefits associated with Brutus Bone Broth to your dog’s diet by using the broth to refortify dehydrated food, adding it to your dog’s existing food, or even serving it frozen in cubes as a treat. Adding all-natural, nutrient-packed Brutus Bone Broth to your dog’s diet is a simple way to give your dog a boost of nutrients that can positively affect their health and longevity. Brutus Bone Broth comes in convenient 32-ounce cartons and travel sized, on the go powdered packets.
Kate Barrington is the loving owner of two cats (Bagel and Munchkin) and a noisy herd of guinea pigs. Having grown up with golden retrievers, Kate has a great deal of experience with dogs but labels herself a lover of all pets. Having received a Bachelor's degree in English, Kate has combined her love for pets and her passion for writing to create her own freelance writing business, specializing in the pet niche.
More by Kate Barrington