National Cupcake Day is a Sweet Treat That Benefits Canadian Shelters
Sometimes, the best way to help is the most unexpected one, and that seems to be true for National Cupcake Day, a coordinated Canadian event to support local shelters and SPCAs. It takes place all across the country, and even though the event officially falls on February 26, the animal-loving bakers are busy making cupcakes throughout January and February.
How does this sweets-themed charity event work, you might ask? The process is pretty simple. You apply as a host for a Cupcake Party, organize the event at home, school, or workplace, inviting guests to donate to the rescue organization or shelter of your choice, in exchange for a yummy cupcake. Creating an extensive guest list shouldn’t be hard, because, hey, who doesn’t love desserts and pets? And in case some of the potential attendees are unable to make it, you can collect funds online and get cupcakes to your donors at your convenience or send a virtual cupcake with a personalized thank you note!
Even one little cupcake can help. Here are some examples of what your donations can do to ensure that the life-saving work of Canada’s rescues and shelters continues:
- $10 provides an enrichment toy for a cat which assists in their behavioral development
- $30 provides bales of hay to feed the farm animals in rescue’s care
- $40 microchips a cat or dog to ensure that they always find their way home
- $50 subsidizes the emergency boarding costs of the animals of victims of domestic violence
- $100 provides warm bedding, heat pads, and lamps to keep a puppy warm
- $200 subsidizes medical treatment for an injured dog or cat
- $500 keeps an Inspector on the road fighting cruelty for two days
Not bad for a Cupcake Party, eh?
Considering the central theme of the event, I can’t say I’m surprised by the roaring success it tends to have. Just last year, National Cupcake day raised over $600,000 in support of their favorite Societies. To date, Canadians with a soft spot for furballs of all types and sizes have raised $2.45 million to date through this campaign! And they say you can’t bake a difference.
Organize your own National Cupcake Day at work, school, or special event, head to the SPCA website for tips, resources, and much more.
A proud mama to seven dogs and ten cats, Angela spends her days writing for her fellow pet parents and pampering her furballs, all of whom are rescues. When she's not gushing over her adorable cats or playing with her dogs, she can be found curled up with a good fantasy book.
More by Angela Vuckovic