Nearly Half of Pet Owner Turn to Pets Over Family for Comfort

Angela Vuckovic
by Angela Vuckovic
Man’s best friend is also his best therapist- according to a new survey that highlights some of the aspects of dog-human bond and relationship.

When it comes to feeling down, it seems that no one makes the blues go away as man’s best friend. Or at least that’s what surveys indicate- as nearly half of pet pawrents surveyed by Wag! revealed they would rather turn to their dog for comfort than to talk about their feelings with family members. Scientific studies even show that canines recognize when we’re sad and distressed and rush to our side, so it’s no surprise that some find pets the perfect shoulder to cry on.

And finding comfort in pets just the tip of the iceberg! The bond we share with our dogs seems stronger than ever. According to the dog-walking app who organized a survey of over 2,000 pet parents on National Dog Appreciation Day, our relationship with dogs goes deeper than just comfort. For instance, an impressive 38% of the participants show most love and attention in the household to their dogs. Honestly- the remaining 62% is probably scared of their cats, otherwise, they’d reply the same. The list goes on, highlighting all the ways pet owners show all that affection towards their four-legged companions.

Tattoos are one of the ways pawrents immortalize their love for the fur babies in their life, with one-third considering getting one in honor of their pet, and 15% already have one. Portraits, paw prints, and pet names are the most popular options for pet-inspired ink! When they’re not getting their pet’s name or likeness inked on the skin, pet owners also like to pamper their dogs on their birthday. 88% of surveyed prepares a special meal for their pet on the day they were born, 60% buy a gift for their pet’s birthday, and 25% throws a full-blown birthday party for their furry best friend.

Of course, this is just a fun survey that scratched the surface of our appreciation for dogs, but it revealed some fun facts about new generations of pet owners. How about you? How do you show your dog you appreciate them? Share your experiences in the comments!

Angela Vuckovic
Angela Vuckovic

A proud mama to seven dogs and ten cats, Angela spends her days writing for her fellow pet parents and pampering her furballs, all of whom are rescues. When she's not gushing over her adorable cats or playing with her dogs, she can be found curled up with a good fantasy book.

More by Angela Vuckovic