Product Review: AquaMaxx HOB Protein Skimmer
In order to keep your marine tank healthy, you’ll need to invest in certain equipment including a protein skimmer. A protein skimmer is a supplemental filtration device that helps to remove excess proteins and other organic wastes from the water column. This device acts in support of your primary filtration device to help it run more efficiently and to maximize the quality and clarity of your tank water. If you are looking for a high-quality protein skimmer for your marine tank, consider the AquaMaxx HOB Protein Skimmer as an option.
What Features Does the This Protein Skimmer Offer?
The AquaMaxx HOB Protein Skimmer offers an improved design and a number of new features compared to some of their other models. This protein skimmer features a hang-on back (HOB) design that is easy to install, simple to adjust, and quick to operate. This product is rated for tanks up to 75 gallons, though its compact design is light enough to be used in smaller tanks, even nano tanks. The AquaMaxx HOB Protein Skimmer works by creating a combination of strong turbulence and extra-small air bubbles to force excess proteins, wastes products, and other materials into the collection cup where they can easily be removed from the tank.
Related: Why You Need The API Master Test Kit
The AquaMaxx HOB Protein Skimmer offers a number of useful features, including the following:
- A removable collection cup for easy clean-up
- Well-crafted Italian Sicce Syncra 1.0 pump for maximum efficiency
- AquaMaxx needlewheel impellor for increased turbulence
- Modest 11-watt power consumption, energy-efficient design
With its hang-on back design the AquaMaxx HOB Protein Skimmer is easy to install in tanks with rims up to ¾ inches thick. It also comes with a bubble stopper to eliminate unsightly microbubbles.
Pros and Cons for the AquaMaxx HOB Protein Skimmer
The AquaMaxx HOB Protein Skimmer offers a variety of helpful features and it consistently receives good reviews, but it is important to consider the pros and cons before you make a purchase.
Related: Canister vs Hang-On Filters?
Here are some of the pros for this protein skimmer:
- Compact design is light enough for a nano tank but can accommodate larger tanks up to 75 gallons
- Model is easy to install and simple to adjust per tank specification
- Needlewheel impeller and special bubble plates increase turbulence to produce extra-fine bubbles
- Skimmate cup can be adjusted by moving the rubber O-ring
- Comes with a 1-year manufacturer warranty for your protection
Though there are many advantages that this product has to offer, there are some cons to consider as well:
- The protein cup can sometimes get wedged into place, making adjustment a challenge
- Plastic hanging bracket could be stronger, might snap under pressure
- Directions in the instruction manual could be clearer
- Costs over $200, may be pricier than other models
The Bottom Line
In the end, you need to consider both the pros and cons for the AquaMaxx HOB Protein Skimmer before you decide if it is the right product for you. If you are looking for a well-designed protein skimmer that is easy to install and offers strong support for your existing filtration system, the AquaMaxx HOB Protein Skimmer may be one to consider.
Kate Barrington is the loving owner of two cats (Bagel and Munchkin) and a noisy herd of guinea pigs. Having grown up with golden retrievers, Kate has a great deal of experience with dogs but labels herself a lover of all pets. Having received a Bachelor's degree in English, Kate has combined her love for pets and her passion for writing to create her own freelance writing business, specializing in the pet niche.
More by Kate Barrington