Husky Detects a Dangerous Gas Leak and Saves the Entire Neighborhood

Nevena Nacic
by Nevena Nacic

Kobe, a four-year-old husky became an internet hero after saving his home and the entire neighborhood from a catastrophic gas leak. 

According to his owner, Chanell Bell, the canine started digging a large hole in the front yard of their Philadelphia home. At first, Bell didn’t think much of Kobe’s strange behavior. However, as the hole grew bigger, she became concerned that Kobe was trying to tell her something.

I trust his judgment because that isn’t his typical behavior and he is usually right,” said Bell, according to PEOPLE. “He has great senses and he never digs holes unless he is helping me dig; I knew something was up.”

Earlier in the month, Bell had a gas leak in the house, and out of caution, she decided to check the hole Kobe dug with a gas detection device. 

“I had a reader already in the house to make sure there were no leaks coming from my old heater,” explained Bell. “When I saw the hole, I realized it was odd behavior for my dog. My intuition told me to check it.”

Immediately the device detected gas. A potentially catastrophic amount of gas was coming from the hole Kobe dug in the yard!

Bell alerted authorities right away and they informed her that the entire neighborhood should be grateful that Kobe detected the leak when he did. 

We were told it could’ve caused serious health effects like respiratory issues, brain damage, and even death. They told me that something as simple as a light switch turning on could’ve caused an explosion, too.”

As soon as they arrived at the address, the gas foreman and crew turned off the gas and started to work on the pipes. During the repairs, the crew discovered three other gas leaks in the neighborhood, all caused by old pipes. 

The crew worked for three days to repair the leaks and install new pipes. Workers told Bell that something as simple as turning on a light switch could have caused the gas to ignite and blow up the entire house. 

While they worked, the crew praised Kobe.

They were so impressed with Kobe and mentioned what a good dog he was,” said Bell, adding that people should always listen to their pets and their senses. 

The gas company said that it adds Marcaptan to the natural gas it administers to homes to produce a smell similar to rotten eggs to allow for easier leak detection. 

Just like this customer, any time anyone smells a foreign odor or egg-like smell, they should immediately call,” said the utility company, in a statement. 

“It feels amazing to know Kobe saved our block, I am very thankful to have him,” added Bell. “I hope this spreads awareness to others about the dangers and severity of gas leaks and to pay attention to your fur babies!”  

Join the PetGuide community. Get the latest pet news and product recommendations by subscribing to our newsletter here.

Nevena Nacic
Nevena Nacic

Nevena is a freelance writer and a proud mom of Teo, a 17-year-old poodle, and Bob, a rescued grey tabby cat. Since childhood, she had a habit of picking up strays and bringing them home (luckily, her parents didn't know how to say NO). When she's not writing for her fellow pet parents, Nevena can be found watching Teo sleep. To her defense, that's not as creepy as it sounds!

More by Nevena Nacic