9 Fresh Ways to Keep Your Dog’s Paws Clean
Your dog’s paws have places to go – that’s why you need to take diligent care of them. Help him put his best foot forward with these easy paw care tips.
Think about the dirty surfaces your dog’s feet come into contact with throughout the day. Carpet, tile, wood, cement, grass, dirt, mud, snow, water, urine, feces and more – Fido walks on all of them.
Beyond the gross factor of things sticking to those paws, these surfaces can have an impact on his tender tootsies regarding safety. The pads of your dog’s feet provide cushioning that protects joints and bones from shock. In addition, the pads provide protection for the deep tissue within the paw and insulation against extreme weather. Although there’s no set rule for how often you should tend to your dog’s paws, it’s a good start to keep an eye on them on a weekly basis to ensure there are no open wounds, new or old, or any foreign objects lodged in there causing your pup discomfort. Keep your dog’s paws in immaculate condition with these 9 useful tips:
- Trim Hair: Hair grows on feet and in between paw pads. If left unkempt, hair can become matted and cause damage to your dog’s paws. The excessive hair can also pick up debris and dirt, which can lead to infection. Trim paw hair on a regular basis to avoid problems. As a general rule, paw hair should be trimmed evenly with the pads.
- Use Wipes: There are plenty of wipes available to choose from that are used specifically for dogs. They resemble baby wipes and are easy to use. Keep a pack near your front and back door for convenience. As your dog enters your home from the outdoors, stop for a moment and wipe off his paws. You’ll be surprised as you notice the foul things that come off your dog’s paws in just one outing.
- Keep Nails Trimmed: Click-clack – this familiar sound comes in handy when you need to know where your dog is, but it’s also a sign that his nails are too long. Keep your pup’s nails trimmed or filed to a comfortable length.
- Clean Between the Pads: Imagine if you walked barefoot everywhere you went… you’d be shocked at all the things that collect in between your toes. Your dog experiences this on a daily basis. Make a habit of cleaning between your dog’s toes and checking for debris, dirt, pebbles, small particles and other items that can get lodged.
- Use Doggie Boots: Watching a dog walk in doggie boots for the first time can be amusing, but these cute little boots are actually beneficial to keep your dog’s paws protected from the elements and sharp objects.
- Moisturize the Pads: Due to the excessive exposure to a variety of elements, your dog’s paws can become dry and cracked. Use a quality canine moisturizer, balm or butter specifically made to protect dog pads.
- Apply First Aid: Your dog can accidentally step on sharp objects that can cause cuts, wounds and blood loss. Take action quickly by applying first aid to the wound with antibacterial wash and a light bandage. If the cut is larger than half an inch in diameter, you should visit the veterinarian for treatment.
- Wash with Warm Water: You can make washing your dog’s paws with warm water a habit all year long. This is especially useful when your dog has been in the snow. Salt and toxic chemicals from ice melters can get lodged in between the foot pads and lead to blistering, sores and infection. Giving your dog’s paws a quick warm water rinse will help remove the chemicals.
- Use a Doormat: This solution to keeping your dog’s paws clean is the easiest. Place a door mat in place at all doors leading outside. You’ll want to encourage your dog to step on the mat and shuffle around on it to remove debris and dirt from his or her paws.
Best Products for Cleaning Dog Paws
With the right supplies, keeping your pooch’s jelly beans will be the easiest task in the world. From cleaning to nourishing, these paw products will make sure your pet has spotless feet!
1. Editor’s Choice – Dexas MudBuster Portable Dog Paw Cleaner
Easy to use and very convenient, this handy gadget needs only a bit of warm water to thoroughly clean your pet’s paws. The silicone bristles inside the MudBuster gentle remove dirt and debris in seconds: all you have to do is pour water in, put your pet’s paw inside and twist – voila! When you’re done, just rinse and it’s ready for the next use. Perfect for those walks after the rain and outdoor adventures!
2. Runner Up – Pogi’s Grooming Wipes
Pet cleaning wipes are one of the most practical dog grooming products around. They’re easy to store and keep on hand, easy to use, and even the most timid and finicky dogs don’t mind being wiped down (and almost every pooch will prefer wipes over a bath). Hypoallergenic and safe for pets, these wipes are ideal not just for cleaning paws but for the rest of your pet’s body, too. Just one of these large quilted wipes will be enough to completely clean your doggo’s jelly beans, so you can say that a little goes a long way with Pogi’s wipes.
3. Best Paw Butter – Pet Head Oatmeal Natural Paw Butter
Keeping your pet’s paw pads soft and moisturized is not always easy, especially if they have sensitive paws. However, by relying on all-natural ingredients, this paw butter can nourish and relieve dry and cracked paws in no time. The combination of shea butter, oatmeal, mango, vitamin E and F, coconut oil and aloe vera is completely safe for your pet and extremely effective, even on super dry paws.
4. Best Doggie Boots – PawZ Color Dog Boots
What better way to keep the dirt away from your pet’s paws than putting on some dog booties? These disposable (or reusable, the choice is yours) rubber boots are inexpensive, practical, and easy to put on – but most importantly, they’re a perfect way to ensure no road salt, dirt or debris can touch your pet’s jelly beans. Waterproof and appropriate for all seasons, these dog booties come in sizes from extra small to extra large.
5. Best Paw Shampoo – PETRIBE Dog Paw Cleaner
With a paw brush built-in, this paw cleaning shampoo allows you to scrub away any dirt and nastiness on the spot – without having to rinse it off afterwards. The formula of this waterless paw shampoo includes non-toxic, all natural, and gentle ingredients that are safe for your pet, but yet powerful enough to remove mud and dirt and deodorize the paws.