Simple Homemade Beef Stew Recipe For Dogs
The meat and veggies combo in this beef stew is always a hit with dogs and using wholesome, healthy ingredients to make their meal improves the flavor by far.
Your dog needs a break from dry kibble now and then. No matter how much your pooch loves the crunchy yummies, they’re bound to get fed up with it. Hey, you’d get tired of eating the same meal day in, day out. That’s why adding a tasty topper to your dog’s usual grub or switching one whole meal from the menu can be a good idea. A change of pace can be just what your pooch needs, and cooking something nice for your pet will certainly be something for you to enjoy. This beef stew for dogs is easy to make, costs next to nothing, and won’t have you slaving away in the kitchen. To boot, you can double (or triple) the recipe and make portions ahead for the freezer. Next time when you feel like treating your pooch to a hearty homemade meal, just pop it out and defrost- bon pawpetit!
Of course, while homemade food is a tasty, healthy treat but you shouldn’t overdo it. Pet obesity is a serious issue that some even call an epidemic- gaining excess weight can lead your pet straight to a myriad of health issues. This beef stew should be doled out from time to time, especially if used as a topper for kibble. Too much indulging in yummy foods can only be counterproductive in the long run, so stick to recommended portion sizes. In case you are looking to make a switch to cooking for your dog instead of feeding them kibble, this yummy recipe can be a great way to “test the waters” and see how your pet likes the switch. Needless to say, you should consult a vet first if you plan on doing a homemade-only diet, to avoid any risk of nutritional deficiencies.
This recipe is a fave with our furry taste testers, so we don’t doubt your pooch will go bonkers for it, too. The meat and veggies combo in this beef stew is always a hit with dogs and using wholesome, healthy ingredients to make their meal improves the flavor by far.
16 oz stewing beef
3 medium potatoes
3 medium carrots
2 celery sticks
2 pints (4 cups) chicken stock
2 tbsps. vegetable oil
- Peel the potatoes and cut into small pieces. Chop up the two celery sticks. Peel carrots and chop into small pieces. The size of the pieces should be bite-size, but the veggies should soften additionally during the cooking, so don’t worry if your pieces are a bit chunky.
- Brown the meat by adding two tbsps. of oil into your large saucepan or pot and all of the beef. Cook the beef on medium-high heat until it is brown on all sides.
- Once the beef is brown, add chicken stock and bring to boil. It would be ideal if you have homemade chicken stock to make sure it’s free of unnecessary additives. Cover with the lid slightly ajar and leave to simmer for 45 minutes.
- Add the vegetables to the pan. Replace the lid (slightly ajar) and let simmer for another 45 minutes. If you want a thicker stew, remove the lid completely after 30 minutes.
- Take the pan off the heat and let cool for a few minutes. Serve to your happy and hungry dog- with or without kibble for garnish.
Cooking for your dog can be a rewarding experience. You get to decide what exactly goes into their dish without having to worry about hidden harmful ingredients lurking in their food. Organic, natural, homegrown- it’s your choice of ingredients, but make sure it’s all fresh. Lastly, while this beef stew contains no problematic ingredients and uses only dog-safe foods for preparation, if your dog is unused to cooked food, he might have a slight stomach reaction. But I guess a few farts is something every pet parent can deal with, right?
We love easy recipes and we bet you do too! Give this one a try and let us know how it turns out. As well, if you have any recipes for dogs you’d like to share, please send it to us. You can get email it to us using the contact page.