DIY Halloween Costumes for Dogs: Chia Pet
Low on cash, high on creativity? Save your money and make your dog’s Halloween costume for a couple of bucks. We’ll tell you what you’ll need and how to do it.
I’m not the craftiest person on the planet, but I do dabble in the art. My sewing skills are basic – loose buttons and small rips are all I can handle. After seeing my latest credit card bill, I made the decision to cut back on spending… and that meant no new Halloween costumes for Oscar. The only way he could make a fashion statement on October 31 is if I got creative with my design skills. That’s the inspiration behind this DIY Halloween Costumes for Dogs series!
First up is Oscar’s Chia Pet Costume. This famous “As Seen on TV” potted plant is adorable when a pet is parading in it. It’s easy to make and cost me $5.
What you’ll need:
- Baby Onesie or t-shirt, Green, Orange, or Red (bigger dogs will need a t-shirt)
- Plastic Greenery, from the Dollar Store
- Hot glue gun
- Needle and thread
- Safety Pin
- Try the onesie on your dog. Tuck and pin the front flap inside the onesie, giving your dog enough room to pee. Take the onesie off your dog before you start to sew or glue.
- Glue or sew the front flap in place, where it’s been marked by the safety pin.
- Cutting the stems of the greenery, sew or hot glue the greenery onto the back on the onesie. Cover the entire back flap with greenery, from neck to butt. Make sure to cover any open spaces. If using glue, let dry completely.
- I found a little pirate patch and used it for as the base for a little chia hat! Because it was plastic, I hot glued pieces of greenery to the patch. I cut the elastic cord and re-glued to fit Oscar’s head.