Best Dog-Friendly Breweries
There was a time when your options were limited to a few taps and a handful of bottled options when you went to a bar, but no longer. The craft beer industry has skyrocketed in popularity and most cities now boast at least one, sometimes up to a dozen, craft breweries each with a unique identity. Visiting a brewery is a great way to spend an evening or a weekend afternoon, but you probably have to leave your dog at home. Or do you?
Read on to learn about the top 10 dog-friendly breweries including where they are located and the beers they are best known for.
The Top 10 Dog-Friendly Breweries to Visit
Every city has its own brewery these days it seems, but not all of them are as open to dogs as others. Before you bring your pup to grab a pint with your pals, double-check with the brewery to make sure they are dog-friendly. If you’re heading out of town in the near future with your dog in tow, look around for local dog-friendly breweries to try.
Here are some dog-friendly breweries to add to your list to visit:
- Uncle Bear’s Brewery (Phoenix, AZ) – Owned and operated by Todd Carey, Uncle Bear’s Brewery is entirely focused on dogs. After Carey lost his beloved Labrador-mix, he opened the brewery and focused every aspect on dogs from a dog-friendly patio to water bowls and free food on Saturdays.
- Avery Brewing Company (Boulder, CO) – Located in one of the country’s craft beer capitals, Avery Brewing Company has an outdoor seating area perfect for dogs and they frequently feature their customers’ dogs on their Instagram account.
- Laughing Dog Brewery (Ponderay, ID) – Located near the Canadian border, this brewery was inspired by Ben, a Yellow Lab owned by Fred and Michelle Colby. They offer a dog-friendly patio and dogs are also welcome in the taproom.
- O.H.S.O. Brewery (Phoenix, AZ) – With several locations across Phoenix, O.H.S.O. Brewery offers free homemade dog biscuits, disposable dog bowls, and free water and dog wash. For being so dog-friendly, they’ve earned a TripsWithPets.com preferred badge.
- Creature Comforts Brewing Co. (Atlanta, GA) – With a name like Creature Comforts, it should come as no surprise that this is a very dog-friendly brewery. They’re welcome in an outdoor patio or in the tasting room.
- Brouwerij West (San Pedro, CA) – Located just 40 minutes south of downtown LA, Brouwerji West offers a 17,000-square-foot space for dogs to play but they are welcome indoors as well. This brewery also has a very family-friendly vibe.
- BrewDog DogTap (Winchester, OH) – Originally founded in Scotland by two men and their dog, BrewDogs moved to the states in 2017. Dogs are allowed outside on the patio and are given treats, water, and waste bags.
- Empirical Brewery (Chicago, IL) – This brewery offers a dog-friendly taproom but is also open to cats! They often celebrate dog birthdays and host a “Where Bark Meets Business” networking night for dogs and local professionals to get together.
- Wisconsin Brewing Company (Verona, WI) – Located 20 minutes from Madison, this brewery gets its ingredients from local farms and gives their brews dog-inspired names like Chocolate Lab Porter. They are more than dog-friendly, they are dog-loving.
- Lonerider Brewing Company (Raleigh, NC) – This brewery does everything they can to make all of their guests welcome, including the furry ones. They allow dogs in the brewery most days and host events like “Beers for Beagles” to raise money for local rescues.
The next time you make plans to meet up with friends at a brewery, consider whether your dog can join you. You shouldn’t order him a pint of his own but can at least enjoy the company.
Kate Barrington is the loving owner of two cats (Bagel and Munchkin) and a noisy herd of guinea pigs. Having grown up with golden retrievers, Kate has a great deal of experience with dogs but labels herself a lover of all pets. Having received a Bachelor's degree in English, Kate has combined her love for pets and her passion for writing to create her own freelance writing business, specializing in the pet niche.
More by Kate Barrington