A Pennsylvania Dog Shocked Its Owners After Eating $4000 in Cash

Nevena Nacic
by Nevena Nacic

A Pittsburg couple was shocked to discover that their dog Cecil decided to have the most expensive snack of his life, after wolfing down $4,000 in cash. 

According to Cecil’s owners, Clayton and Carrie Law, the seven-year-old goldendoodle is a well-behaved boy who has never really done anything bad before. 

The couple had withdrawn cash to do a home improvement project, but Cecil had other plans for the envelope full of money. Less than 30 minutes later, Cecil was caught devouring thousands of dollars. 

I walked back into the room and then all this cash was on the ground. He’s just like this, standing there, and I’m like oh my gosh, he ate some of this money and was in shock. I yelled to Carrie ‘He ate the money, he ate the $4,000,’” said Clayton Law to CBS News

After the initial shock, the couple discovered that Cecil ate a lot of the bills, but that some were still on the floor, albeit torn up and chewed into pieces. 

Carrie and Clayton describe their pooch as laid back, weird, funny, and almost human-like, and say that he is typically more of a snuggly couch potato. 

He doesn’t do many dog things, he doesn’t chew furniture or clothing, that’s why we were extra shocked when he decided to do this,” said Clayton Law. 

“He has never in his life tried to get anything from the counter, even coffee table. We could leave dinner and go to the kitchen and grab wine, and he would not touch the food, and he just doesn’t care. He just took this opportunity and ran with it,” said Carrie Law. 

Once the initial shock passed, the couple contacted their vet to see if the dog needed any treatment. Given the goldendoodle’s size, there was no risk of bowel obstruction and he only needed to be monitored at home. 

At first, Cecil seemed fine, but in the middle of the night, the Laws were awoken by the sound every dog owner knows - the retching of their dog about to vomit. 

When you hear that, you immediately just react, so I jumped out of bed and just made sure that he didn’t throw up anywhere,” said Clayton. “And then I went to pick it up… and I realized there’s a lot of like half eaten and $100 bills and $50 bills here.”

That night marked the start of the Law’s unfortunate mission of sifting through their dog’s vomit and poop in an attempt to recover some of their money. 

Luckily, the couple was able to piece together most of the bills after carefully washing and sorting all the pieces back together. 

There we are at the utility sink washing this shitty money, yelling ‘Yay! Yes! We got one!’ It smelled so bad,” Carries confessed. 

After piecing together as many bills as they could salvage, the couple managed to recoup $3,550. According to Carrie, the bank was really nice about it and told them that these things happen all the time. 

“They said it actually happens quite a bit because money just picks up so many scents, especially if it’s used in the food industry. I guess dogs pick up on that - they have such a good sense of smell - and something about it just drove him crazy.”

Almost a month after the incident, Cecil is doing fine and is still a good boy. 

Join the PetGuide community. Get the latest pet news and product recommendations by subscribing to our newsletter here.

Nevena Nacic
Nevena Nacic

Nevena is a freelance writer and a proud mom of Teo, a 17-year-old poodle, and Bob, a rescued grey tabby cat. Since childhood, she had a habit of picking up strays and bringing them home (luckily, her parents didn't know how to say NO). When she's not writing for her fellow pet parents, Nevena can be found watching Teo sleep. To her defense, that's not as creepy as it sounds!

More by Nevena Nacic