FDA Warns Pet Parents About Skin Cancer Cream

The FDA is warning pet parents to be careful about certain skin cancer treatment creams, after five dogs who accidentally ingested the topical medication have died.


The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) is warning pet parents to keep skin cancer treatment cream away from their dogs, as it would likely kill them if ingested. The cream under caution is called Fluorouracil and is also sold under the names of Carac, Efudex and Fluroplex.


FDA officials cited a case where two dogs were playing with a tube of the fluorouracil and one of the dogs punctured the tube before his owner could get take it away. According to officials, the dog that punctured the tube started vomiting, had seizures, and was dead 12 hours later.


Related: Top 10 Common Household Products Poisonous for Dogs


Another case cited a situation where a dog got into his owner’s tube of Fluorouracil and ingested the cream. Once the dog’s owner realized what had happened, he rushed his pet to the veterinarian, but it was too late. The dog became ill and had to be euthanized.


As a result, the FDA recommends that people who use the creams, which contain a drug that kills fast-growing cells that include some types of skin cancer or pre-cancerous skin growths, to put the medications where their pets can not reach them, and to be careful when applying the creams to parts of the body, as even small amounts can be extremely hazardous to pets.


Though no cases of illnesses in cats have been reported, the FDA still cautions all pet owners. Cats may accidentally ingest the creams if touching/licking areas of their human’s body that are treated with the creams, and then in turn, groom themselves and possibly get sick as well.


Related: Top 5 Indoor Plants Poisonous To Cats




The FDA also continues to recommend pet owners keep medicines away from areas that animals can reach, and advise you to safely discard (or clean well) any cloth or applicator that is used when applying creams. Finally, please ensure there are no residues of any of the medications on their hands, carpeting or furniture.


If you are currently using any of the medications containing Fluorouracil, and your pet is exposed or shows symptoms such as vomiting or seizing, you should consult a veterinarian as soon as possible. Doing so could make the life or death difference for your pet.

Lori Ennis
Lori Ennis

More by Lori Ennis

Popular Pet Guide
Next