Drunken Dog Rings in the New Year With 15 Jell-O Shots

by Britt

The holiday season is upon us, and you have likely seen many posts circulating warning you about the dangers that our dogs face at this time of year. It’s easy to ignore or brush these warnings off as being overly paranoid. But a Minneapolis couple learned the hard way that holiday emergencies could happen to anyone!

After celebrating New Year’s Eve, Tyler Kronstedt and his fiancé returned home with 15 left-over Jell-O shots. Tired from a night of celebrations and an undiagnosed case of Covid, they were eager to get to bed. The couple intended to throw away the leftover Jell-O shots, but instead, they accidentally left them in the bag on the kitchen floor.

“About 3 AM, I heard my dog Red making a bunch of noise,” Kronstedt shared. “When I got downstairs, I found he had gotten into the bag, and there were red Jell-O shots scattered throughout the entire living room. He was stumbling around drunk, staggering upstairs, and walking into walls. We called the Blue Pear Pet Hospital in Duluth, Minn., and they recommended we call the toxicology experts at Pet Poison Helpline.”

Alcohol is one of the hazardous risks that your dog may encounter during the holiday season. It is incorporated into many aspects of our usual festivities, from relaxing with a glass of wine to celebrating with shots. But our dogs can’t metabolize alcohol the way we do, making it incredibly toxic. Alcohol intoxication can cause serious complications, including low blood pressure, blood sugar, or body temperature. In the most severe cases, it can lead to organ failure or death.

Luckily for Red, he is a big dog weighing approximately 85-90 pounds. This, combined with how quickly his owners could get him to a veterinarian for emergency care, meant that he survived the ordeal. After an IV for hydration and anti-nausea medication to calm his stomach, Red went home to sleep off his drunken night.

“I laid next to him on the floor overnight, waking up every hour to make sure he drank water and tried to eat something,” said Kronstedt. “He was back to normal the next day.”

The Pet Poison Helpline recently shared Red’s story as part of their Toxin Tails campaign to help educate pet lovers and the veterinary community about handling a similar situation. This was one of 12 different stories included in the campaign, 1 for each month of the year. They are inviting pet lovers like yourself to read through the 12 stories and vote for your favorites. From a sushi-scavenging Yorkie to a Golden Retriever poisoned by bread dough, each story tells a tale of caution.

“Red’s Jell-O shot adventure had a happy ending, but it could have taken a different turn,” explained Dr. Renee Schmid, a senior veterinary toxicologist at Pet Poison Helpline. “It’s a good reminder to be aware of all the dangerous foods and drinks that may be literally laying around throughout the holiday season. Pick up those half-finished plates of food and cocktails sitting around after guests leave. Be aware if there are food items in packages under your Christmas tree. If you don’t find them, I can guarantee your pet will!”


Britt Kascjak is a proud pet mom, sharing her heart (and her home) with her “pack” which includes her husband John, their 2 dogs – Indiana and Lucifer – and their 2 cats – Pippen and Jinx. She has been active in the animal rescue community for over 15 years, volunteering, fostering and advocating for organizations across Canada and the US. In her free time, she enjoys traveling around the country camping, hiking, and canoeing with her pets.

More by Britt